At the circus, they teach you how to clap, “Oh, you can do better than that boys and girls. Just the left side of the audience, … now the right side.”
Maybe we’re shy or too used to TV and Cinema, but audience participation is something most of us re-learn every time. We feel connected, have fun, and are better for it.
Your customers are the same. They like the why and the how so they know what to appreciate.
– Drinking the coffee … what flavours to note.
– Voting for candidates … what they believe.
– Reading the book … the author’s authority.
– Hiring the consultant … how they learned their schtick.
– The outsource manufacturer … also builds for Apple.
– Your account director is Jean … she works from Cornwall.
– The valves in the stereo … military grade.
Knowing this stuff makes no difference to the product – it’s about customer experience. Highlighting it builds a connection, cements your positioning and tells a story to be shared with the first person who asks.
Customers like knowing you care about them and your product – the why and the what that you put in the box … connects the two.
Skippy Strategy: What story or detail will build a connection between your product and your customer? Tasting notes, names and faces, a little history, an easter egg.
First published 11th April 2015.
Get a daily nudge by subscribing to email updates.